07 February 2013

"Chance favours the connected mind"


(Stephen Johnson, speaking at TED ) 


Stephen Johnson's book Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation is about the environmental and cultural factors that have facilitated scientific and technological innovation over the centuries. I haven't read the book, but I have heard the TED talk, and that inspired me to parrot a few noteworthy points, and offer a little slab of cyberspace where people can improve their ideas' chances with a few informal connections...


Ideas are networks.

They ace built from, and in amongst a milieu of, other ideas. And other thinkers, makers, and doers.
The culture of exchange facilitated by open written correspondence, scholarly societies, and that glorious invention the coffee house, all contributed greatly to the groundswell of innovation during the European enlightenment. The inevitable cross-fertilization that results from such fora is also an essential activity. As Matt Ridley puts it, 'ideas have sex'.


Ideas incubate.

Whilst Darwin's autobiography reports that the idea for the mechanism of evolution by natural selection came to him in a Eureka moment whilst reading Malthus, his notebooks show quite clearly that the idea itself was with him almost fully formed many months earlier. All great breakthroughs start out as hunches. The way they stand the test of time is by regularly being remembered and re-evaluated, by their originators and by others.


A little slab...

The downside of the coffee shop, the workplace coffee break, the shop talk in the pub, etc., is that chat, for all its virtues, is transitory. The best place for ideas to incubate and stay connected is a permanent public space, which in this day and age means means somewhere in cyberspace.
So I want to try this out right here, in the comments section of this entry.
State and discuss your ideas, hypotheses, and speculations. Summarize your coffee break chats. Write (and share) primers for chats you want to have, or want other people to have.
Anything goes. Be bold or reserved;  be vague or specific; be technical or conceptual; be a footsoldier of the status quo, or a Feyerabendian anarchist. Go forth and connect!

2 comments:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read my testimony.
    For those people who are lupus sufferers and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant when it comes to LUPUS and have no idea what the illness is all about and still flippant about it even in the medical world.
    After my daughter collapsed at home she was seen by one of the Consultants in the Lupus Unit who performed more tests and confirmed that she was negative with the Anti-RO antibodies. when I was told this, as I was slowly thinking I was losing my marbles and this was all in my head.
    The Doctor prescribed a course of treatment but said that it would take about 8-9 months for the drugs to start working. I felt relieved to think that there was light at the end of the tunnel but still quite daunted by her having to cope with feeling the way. After 2months of taking the medication the symptoms seemed to get worse, She had fevers, cold sweats, chest pains, constantly nauseous and she was finding it difficult to breathe. Her Doctor thought that the difficulty breathing may have been caused by one of the anti-inflammatory drugs and stopped them straight away.

    But Everything started to get easier from the point we came across Dr Itua Herbal Medicine through (www.drituaherbalcenter.com). When I first contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center through his email : drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. He told us that the drugs they'd used had aggravated the Lupus and caused it to flare more badly. The miraculous new treatment (Herbal Medicine) was for her to start the medicine sooner which was my thoughts, which of course was helpful.
    His medicine is very effective, she experienced no symptoms for the past 3year. If you/your relatives have the same problem, do not expose yourself to more danger, use a herbal remedy that is safe and effective. Contact Dr Itua directly for any type of disease.

    ReplyDelete